Jan 31, 2015
6 Things to Avoid When Choosing a Web Hosting Service
It is important to choose the right web hosting platform when starting out your online business. It may look quite simple and easy but getting it wrong may turn out to be a costly mistake.
It is important to choose the right web hosting platform when starting out your online business. It may look quite simple and easy but getting it wrong may turn out to be a costly mistake. The point is, changing a hosting service after setting up a website can result in some issues such as:
- Loss of data -unless you know what you are doing, have a proper backup system in place or use professional help, you may have problems, if your data does not get transferred properly.
- Loss of customers - if something goes wrong, you may have to go offline for an extended period of time and your customers may start looking elsewhere. Also, if your IP address changes, it will take time for some servers to update to the new address.
- It can be time consuming - your website may need a complete redesign if the platform you are changing to is completely different from the new one
All of the above and some other drawbacks which are usually unforeseen can make changing a web host a daunting task. In order to avoid this, it is better to do your research properly before selecting your web host.
- Make sure you research a web host properly before you sign up with them, if you don’t find enough information about them online, or you uncover a lot of complaints about them, that is your warning sign.
- Read through their website, find out what type of billing system they use, if this is not clear and you think they have some of hidden costs, strike them off your list.
- For a web host service, if your research points towards lots of downtime, then avoid that host. This is very important because you may keep losing customers due to this drawback.
- Try out their customer service and if you are not satisfied, that is good reason to avoid them.
- Many services offer unlimited disk space, bandwidth and domains. If you can’t get this with a web hosting services, it is better not to use them.
- If a web host does not make it easy to upgrade anytime or the scalability is questionable, consider not using them.
Choosing the right web hosting service can be sometimes challenging, getting it right the first time will save you a lot of problems when your business begin to grow.